Saturday 15 February 2014

My Flipped Classroom - My Vision and Hopes for The Future.

My Flipped Classroom - My Vision and Hopes for The Future.

The first post of a long journey and change in mindset.

I'd read a few blogs online around the subject of flipping your classroom and I got excited at the prospect of using videos in the classroom to enhance children's learning.  

Nothing more really happened until I drove 100 miles to London to The Bett Show 2014 and to my surprise I found that Aaron Sams and John Bergman, the pioneers of the flipped classroom, were speaking at the conference.  I got in early and watched the talk prior to theirs; a group of 10 year old children and their teacher discussing the use of apps in the classroom - I learned the word 'multi-apping!'

Flipped Classroom

Everything clicked into place for me after seeing Aaron Sams and John Bergman speak. Ideas, thoughts and excitement rushed through me and I couldn't type quick enough on my iPhone.  

I could see my classroom in a very different way.  

I've been using technology in my classroom for years, but it's always felt like an add on. This year I have endeavoured to fully embed it into my classroom teaching.  The children in my Year 3 class all have email accounts with SkyDrive, so can create and store documents, notes, pictures in an online cloud.  Exciting stuff for 6 and 7 year olds! 

One of the key moments of the talk was how The Flipped approach uses of Blooms Taxonomy - but flipped!

Flipped Blooms Taxonomy

At the moment in schools around the world children are subjected to a 'stand and deliver' model of learning. Ken Robinson talks about a 'Victorian Model' of education.  Technology has the power to change this forever.

Why can't children gain knowledge and comprehension via videos, blogs, online encyclopaedias and more importantly from videos created by their own teachers?

Children bring the knowledge they've comprehended to school and then begin using the higher order skills illustrated above.  If I can spend more time working alongside children whilst they apply, analyse, synthesis and evaluate, then I really will be making a difference in their lives.  

The flipped approach allows extra time for this, we no longer need to deliver A LOT of content, that's what YouTube is for; surely.  A quote that stuck with me from Aaron Sams and John Bergman at Bett 2014:
"If there is a YouTube video explaining what you're about to say then you should be out of a job..."
A rather powerful quote; I personally loved it!  Imagine I can save countless hours over a term using this model and think how far I can push those children towards higher thinking skills.

HEALTH WARNING:
Now, I'm not trying to endorse that standing and telling children is completely and utterly wrong, as there will always be a time and a place for it.  Some children have been quite successful learning in this way.  There will always be children who have not understood a concept and will need a personal, human intervention to dispel the misconception.

Relationships are key to a successful learning experience.  Children and adults need to know that you care and that you are there to listen, understand and help them.

"Not all my children can get online...."
A good point, not all children can. Hard to believe in 2014, but still very true.  During their talk, Aaron Sams and John Bergman talked about burning DVDs for children to take home, allowing time in school to watch or listen to the videos etc.  There will always be a way. Leaving an iPad or video running in the class - an Interactive learning wall if you will.

How many times have you watched a video on YouTube, learning a new skill about fixing your car, sketching a portrait or baking a cake?  How many time have you paused and rewound part of it?  The biggest advantage I can see is 'You can pause and rewind your teacher.'  I love that.

The future seems exciting and very, very interactive. Pause, rewind, pause rewind,

In my last post I wrote about using video to teach a computing skill on GarageBand - http://videoformyclassroom.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/first-classroom-video-garageband.html

A huge amount to think about for now.

In the meantime


Follow me on Twitter @ChrisWaterworth


No comments:

Post a Comment